Monday 23 July 2012

O'Burger @ O'Bar

Hello burger lovers,

Recently I went to O'Bar, the French expat's pub at the Place du Théâtre in the heart of the Capital. O'Bar serves a "plât du jour" but also has a small menu where you can find their burger, called O'Burger. For 15 €, which is quite expensive in my opinion, you get your burger with a serving of fries, salad and coleslaw.

Evaluation:


The first thing I saw when I got my plate were the soggy brown fries. Okay, they were home made, but you just cannot serve this. I am sorry, but there must be someone in the kitchen who has no clue how to make fries. 

I tried to hide my dissapointment and focused on the burger. The O'Burger wasn't too small and I really appreciated the pita style bread. It was tasty and didn't soak, a good solution!. The meat patty wasn't dry and had a nice taste due to the seasoning, the quality was okay too. The cheese was niceley melted on top of the patty and was tasty as well. There was too much sauce on the burger, I guess it was some kind of sauce andalouse, which I didn't really like. There was no tomato or lettuce on the burger and I didn't know if I was meant to use the side salade as a topping for the burger. I didn't do it since it came with a dressing.
The only vegetable on the burger were onions. A lot of onions. I don't really like onions! That might be one of the reasons I didn't like the burger. If you like fried onions, this is your burger. For me it wasn't a great experience. The fries., the price, the burger sauce and the onions just didn't meet my gusto. 

Sorry O'guys, but my weighted average is 5.93




/k

O'Bar
13, Place du Théâtre
2613 Luxembourg
Tél.: 26 20 23 24

5 comments:

  1. I was reading your blog and found it quite interesting but when I saw what you wrote on O'BAR burger and fries you lost all credibility.
    I really regret to tell you that is a shame for you to be that disgusted and indifferent to real FRESH french fries... NOT frozen ones (one of the reasons WE go to O'BAR for lunch time).
    The fries are amazing!!!!! and the color is totally normal and often depends on the type of potatoes... sometimes the gilding is lighter and in other potato types is darker.
    As you said the bread is good. The meat is very tasty and cooked as you wish (rare, medium or well done). Sauce is homemade and of course you can ask for more, less, none, other or on the side if you prefer.
    I LOOOOVE the paned onions that you get inside... and of course you can ask not to have them if you don't like 'em.
    Cheese as you said is really nice melted.
    And about the lettuce??????? What the hell! I can totally see the lettuce in the burger on the bottom piece of bread on your picture!!!!

    What can I say? I really can't understand your comments wich are NOT objective at all and believe that you really under rated this one.

    I suggest to try it again :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Anonymous,

    Thank you for reading and commenting on my blog. The sole purpose of this blog is to document my quest to find the best burger in Luxembourg. Since this is my project it's obviously reflecting my opinion, and of course this one is pretty subjective, and as far as I recall I've never stated anything different (c.f. press).

    I duly noted your critisism (lettuce), but it humoured me aswell. I find it very amusing, even adventurous to blame the soggy fries on the potato type. I am no stranger to home made fries, I've had my share (good ones and bad ones) but these were simply not good. I honour the fact that O'Bar doesn't use frozen ones, but there is simply no excuse for soggy fries (I don't care about the color).

    I am very sorry that your favorite burger doesn't score well. And of course you are entitled to your own opinion. All I can say is that the feedbacks I get from my followers are mostly postive. Therefore I am doubting that you are to judge my credibility.

    And last but not least, just for a better understanding of how this works. I am rating the burger they serve on the menu, and not the burger I could have had if I chenged their whole toppings. I believe that my criteria are quite diversified and my standards pretty high. The O'Burger did not satisfy them.


    Yours sincerely,
    Klot

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally understood that your critic is subjective but what I can't understand is how you can give a better rating to a burger where, and I quote you, "the bottom piece of bread was still frozen", "a lot of cheese on this burger but unfortunately it was not melted", "fries were a disappointment, they were as cold as the burger, and were very pale and not crisp at all"!

    And, once again, on the O'burger "there was no tomato or lettuce on the burger", "the only vegetable on the burger were onions"... and I repeat that I can totally see the lettuce on the bottom piece of bread of your burger in the picture.

    So, Dear Klot, I apologize for haven't being clear enough in my purposes but I'm not saying O'Burger is the best burger I've ever eaten (even though I really like it) and I don't pretend that you have to like it either, I'm just saying (or repeating) that you loose all credibility when you write these things and give those quotes.

    I appreciate your idea and the work you're doing but be more careful cause even though it's all subjective I believe that some little times you should be objective too.

    Best regards :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Anonymous,

    As I already stated, I duly noted your comment about the lettuce. It might even be amended in the review, but it won't change anything in the final rating. Why? I guess you have read all my posts and know how I review. It is a quite complex system (10 criteria with different weightings), where a burger can score well even if it has minor failures (c.f. MLY, fubar), or fail if the balance isn't right.
     
    If you have any more queries regarding the rating system, I suggest you to read the articles in Wort and Journal, or listen to my radio interview where I go more into details.

    Yours sincerely,
    Klot

    ReplyDelete
  5. Even if we could continue the discussion by me telling you that a burger that has frozen bread, cold meat and cold fries is inedible and I couldn't consider those minor failures I guess the best thing to do is to end this conversation... it's totally clear we don't have any similar point of vue.

    Even though I often disagree with your taste I totally respect it. As the Romans used to say "de gustibus non disputandum est"!

    Wish you all the best :)

    ReplyDelete